Seven-Layer Bean Dip
Assemble this classic dip in glass jars for a single-serving appetizer.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2009
- 4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped onion (from 1 medium onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) pinto beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 to 2 pickled jalapeno chiles, minced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 to 2 bags tortilla chips, for serving
Heat oil in a large pan. Add 1 cup onion and the garlic, and cook over low heat until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans, and cook for 3 minutes. Roughly mash with the back of a spoon, adding reserved liquid as needed to attain desired consistency.
Mix tomatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons onion and the salt. Mash avocados with jalapenos, 2 tablespoons sour cream, and the lemon juice.
Spread 1/2 inch mashed beans into bottom of each jar. Top with 2 tablespoons cheddar, 1 tablespoon scallions, 1/4 cup tomato mixture, 3 tablespoons avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons sour cream, then 2 1/2 tablespoons olives. (Alternatively, layer all ingredients in a large bowl.) Serve with chips.