Miniature Yellow Butter Cakes
These two-bite classic yellow cakes are glazed with a rich mix of chocolate and cream.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Chocolate Glaze
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a cast-iron pan, and dust with all-purpose flour, tapping out excess. Sift together flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
Fill pan halfway, and bake until golden around edges (time will vary depending on size of pan). Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer cakes from pan to a wire rack. Let cool. Coat each with glaze just before serving.