Grilled Tomato-and-Mozzarella Sandwiches
Top these tomato-and-mozzarella sandwiches with ribbon-trimmed toothpicks for a festive touch.
- 1 loaf thinly sliced white sandwich bread (32 pieces), preferably Pullman
- 2 pounds salted fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
Using a 2- or 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter (depending on size of tomatoes), cut out bread and mozzarella.
Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Sandwich 1 tomato slice and 1 mozzarella slice between 2 slices of bread. Repeat with remaining tomatoes, mozzarella, and bread to make 16 sandwiches.
Preheat a grill to medium, or heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush outsides of bread with butter. Grill sandwiches until golden brown and mozzarella is soft but not completely melted, about 5 minutes per side.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2009