Corned Beef and Cabbage
As luck has it, you can make any day St. Patty's Day: Cook up this classic from across the pond.
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March 2006
- 7 quarts hot water
- 2 cups coarse pickling salt
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 10 cloves garlic, plus 10 cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 pounds beef brisket
- 2 ribs celery, quartered crosswise
- 2 onions, quartered
- 5 large red potatoes, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
In an 8-quart nonreactive container, stir together hot water, pickling salt, dry mustard, pickling spice, whole garlic cloves, and pepper; let cool. Add beef, and top with a plate to weigh it down and keep it submerged. Let soak in brining liquid for at least 3 days and up to 6 days in the refrigerator.
Rinse brisket under cold water; place in a large pot with remaining crushed garlic cloves, celery, and onions. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, skimming scum from surface. Cover pot, and let cook for 2 hours.
Uncover, adding potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and cabbage. Cover, and continue to cook until the meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 1/2 hours more.