Mulled White-Wine Sangria
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey, preferably orange-blossom
- Zest of 2 lemons, cut into long strips
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 bottles dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup orange Muscat, such as Essencia
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 Bartlett pear, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, preferably Meyer, thinly sliced crosswise
- 12 kumquats, thinly sliced crosswise
Bring water, honey, lemon zest and juice, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cloves to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
To serve cold: Mix spice mixture, wines, and fruit in a large pitcher. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Transfer to a large punch bowl, and serve with ice. To serve hot: Heat spice mixture and wines in a large pot over low heat until heated through. Add fruit, and divide among mugs.