Puffy Maine Pancakes
These special pancakes work even better if you make the batter a day ahead and chill it over night. Just whisk to combine again before cooking.
- Yield: Makes 3 four-inch pancakes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place eggs, flour, milk, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; whisk until combined. Batter may still be slightly lumpy. The batter may be made a day ahead and chilled overnight.
For each pancake, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 4-inch crepe pan or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Using a ladle, pour one-third of the batter into the very hot pan; transfer pan or skillet immediately to the oven. Bake until pancake is golden brown and very puffy, about 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately.