Phyllo Knots with Goat Cheese and Spinach
Once formed, phyllo knots may be frozen, in an airtight container, for one week.
- 6 large scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Two (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, liquid reserved, or 3 pounds fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves (about 1 cup), roughly chopped
- 1 bunch dill, (about 1 cup), roughly chopped
- 12 ounces goat cheese, crumbled, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boxes (1-pound each) phyllo dough, (17-by-11 1/2-inch sheets)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook scallions in oil until soft. Add spinach and reserved liquid; cook until warm. Transfer mixture to a thin kitchen towel or cheesecloth; wring liquid into a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons liquid, discard the rest. Cool spinach to room temperature.
Process spinach, reserved spinach liquid, parsley, dill, goat cheese, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor until combined.
Heat oven to 425 degrees.with two racks. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #2 tip (or a 3/8-inch-diameter coupler) with spinach mixture. Set aside. Place phyllo flat between two damp kitchen towels. Lay another damp kitchen towel on work surface. Place one phyllo sheet on towel (re-cover remaining phyllo to prevent drying). Brush with butter. Place a second sheet on top; brush with butter. Cut phyllo in half lengthwise and then crosswise to make four pieces. Pipe a line of filling across top of each piece, leaving 1 1/4 inches on each end. Roll each piece into a tube starting with top-filling side and rolling down toward you, brushing phyllo with butter. Brush completed tube with butter; gently tie into a loose knot.
Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with butter. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Transfer to cooling racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceChristmas Vol. 3 1999