Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
Beans, a good-quality pantry staple, make this meal healthy, delicious, and affordable.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2009
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips.