Baker's Dozen Eggs
This recipe for baker's dozen eggs is from Lauren Bank Deen's "Kitchen Playdates" cookbook.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 12 slices extra-thin whole wheat bread
- 1/2 pound prosciutto or Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- 12 medium eggs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Manchego cheese, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Butter a 12-cup muffin tin. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Press each slice of bread, buttered side up, gently into the bottom of a muffin cup. Transfer to oven and bake for 3 minutes.
Gently press ham into each bread cup. Carefully, crack one egg on top of ham. Repeat process until all bread cups are filled. Season each with salt and pepper; top with 1/2 teaspoon cream.
Carefully transfer muffin tin to oven and bake eggs until whites are just set, 10 to 15 minutes. Using an offset spatula, remove bread cups from muffin tin and transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with chives and cheese; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008