This delicious Southern recipe for creamy grits comes from chef Frank Stitt's cookbook, Frank Stitt's Southern Table.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2007
- 4 cups water, preferably spring water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup yellow stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or a little more if desired, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese, plus more if desired
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Cholula
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. In a slow, steady stream, whisk in grits. Continue whisking constantly to prevent clumps until they come to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until grits are thickened and tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Add butter and cheese, stirring to combine; season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce, and more butter and cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.