Jasmine Rice Pudding
This is a wonderfully delicious jasmine rice pudding recipe courtesy of Pichet Ong.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped out, seeds and pod reserved or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in rum or water and drained
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- Passion fruit sorbet (optional)
- Passion fruit seeds, for garnish (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine three milks, cinnamon, vanilla seeds and pod, if using, and salt. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add rice, return to a boil, stirring and scraping the pan so that the rice does not stick. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed by the rice and rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not let mixture brown.
Remove rice from heat and immediately stir in sugar until dissolved. Stir in raisins. Set aside and let cool completely.
Place cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat cream on medium speed until soft peaks form.
Fold whipped cream and lime zest into cooled rice pudding, until mixture is loose and rice kernels are separated. Divide among 6 bowls. Top each with a scoop of passion fruit sherbet and passion fruit seeds, if desired.