Chilled Sesame Spinach
This recipe creates an incredibly flavorful dish that brings together the tangy tastes of soy sauce and rice vinegar with the nutty flavor of toasted sesame and the mild, delicate flavor of spinach. Per serving: 153 calories; 8 g protein; 9 g fat; 12 g carb; 6 g fiber.
- Coarse salt
- 2 pounds spinach, stems trimmed, washed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; season with salt. Add spinach, and cook just until wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain immediately in a colander, and plunge into prepared ice bath. Let spinach cool completely, about 30 seconds; drain again. Using your hands, squeeze excess water out of spinach, and transfer to a work surface. Coarsely chop spinach, and place in a medium bowl; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and mirin. Add dressing and sesame seeds to the spinach; mix to combine.
SourceBody+Soul, April/May 2006