Spinach, Egg, and Bacon Salad
Using prewashed organic baby spinach makes this classic salad easy to prepare.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 1995
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled
- 3/4 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds baby or flat-leaf spinach, washed
Peel eggs, and chop them coarsely. Set aside. Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with a double thickness of paper towels. Reserve 1 teaspoon of bacon fat, and discard the rest.
Meanwhile, combine garlic, shallots, lemon juice, and sherry vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil, add parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together spinach, cooked bacon, reserved warm bacon fat, vinaigrette, and chopped eggs. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve immediately.