Cuban Red Beans and Rice
In this easy version of a classic Cuban dish, red kidney beans are seasoned with onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, and oregano. If you prefer black beans, use them instead, or sprinkle the dish with cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 white onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until onion is soft, 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cumin, oregano, and rice; stir, and cook 1 minute. Add beans and broth; stir, then season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover. Reduce to a medium simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.