Mario Batali's Basic Tomato Sauce
This recipe adapted from Mario Batali's "Molto Italiano" (Ecco, 2005)
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Winter 2007
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 cans (28-ounce) whole tomatoes
- Coarse salt
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and carrot; cook until carrot is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes with their juice; stirring often, bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer until thick as hot cereal, about 30 minutes. Season with salt. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for 6 months.