Warm Berries 'n' Dumplings
Don't turn on the oven for this all-American dessert (traditionally called a grunt). The berries and biscuitlike dumplings cook right on the stove.
- 1 pound frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a medium skillet, cook berries, lemon juice, 4 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup water over medium until slightly thickened, 11 to 13 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 2 tablespoons sugar; add melted butter and buttermilk, and stir until a moist dough forms. Dividing evenly, spoon 6 dollops of dough over fruit. Combine cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar, and sprinkle over dough.
Cover pan tightly with foil, and cook over medium-low until dumplings are set and tops are dry to the touch, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2009