Shredded Radicchio with Parmigiano-Reggiano
We love the contrast of creamy Parmesan cheese sprinkled over bitter, shredded radicchio.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Lisa Hubbard
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2000
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano or parmesan cheese (about 1 cup grated)
- 1 to 2 heads radicchio, depending on size, about 1 1/4 pounds total
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Using the fine holes of box grater, grate about 1 cup cheese onto a plate.
Remove and discard outer leaves of radicchio. Cut heads in half, and remove core. Using a sharp knife, shred radicchio.
Place shredded radicchio in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and toss well to combine.
Divide the radicchio among four salad plates, mounding it up in the center of each plate. Sprinkle reserved Parmigiano-Reggiano over each mound, and serve.