Healthy Beef Stew
When the goal is to warm your belly (not weigh you down), this earthy stew -- with beef tenderloin, a rich, rose-spiked broth, and loads of colorful carrots, parsnips, onions, and turnips -- rises to the occasion.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought beef stock (14 ounces)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry rose or white wine
- 6 canned whole plum tomatoes, crushed
- 6 medium carrots (about 12 ounces), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip (about 10 ounces), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Make the bouquet garni: Put thyme, bay leaves, parsley, and peppercorns on a piece of cheesecloth; tie into a bundle with kitchen twine, and set aside.
Put flour into a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add beef; toss to combine. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef; cook until browned, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a bowl. Add 1/4 cup water to pot, and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Pour over beef. Return the pot to heat. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Whisk 1/4 cup stock into remaining flour in bowl; set aside.
Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, the onions, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, scraping up browned bits, until wine has almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, flour mixture, remaining stock, 1/2 cup water, and the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil. Add carrots, parsnips, and turnip. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add beef; cook until heated through and liquid has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove bouquet garni. Serve immediately.