To make brioche breadcrumbs, pulse fresh brioche slices, crusts removed, in a food processor. Alternatively, you can chop the slices finely by hand.
- Servings: 12
- Yield: Makes 5 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups fresh brioche breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces toasted pecans, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Unsalted butter, softened, for baking dish, if needed
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a medium bowl.
Add onion and celery to drippings in skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and celery is tender, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened, about 2 minutes. Add wine and raisins, and stir, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked sausage, remove from heat, and let cool slightly in pan.
Working in batches, pulse sausage mixture in a food processor until very finely chopped. (If baking the stuffing outside a turkey, pulse only until coarsely chopped.) Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs and pecans, and season with salt and pepper. Add egg, and stir to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
To cook stuffing in a turkey: Stuff as directed (see Rolled Turkey recipe). To bake all of the stuffing outside a turkey: Spoon into a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with parchment, then foil, and bake in a 375-degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover, and continue to bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.