This perfect recipe for bacon cheeseburgers is courtesy of Joey Campanaro.
- Yield: Makes 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 4001
- 2 tablespoons madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef brisket
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 6 slices American cheese
- 12 slices bacon, preferably applewood-smoked
- 6 Homemade Buns for Bacon Cheeseburgers, sliced lengthwise
- Lettuce, for serving (optional)
- Sliced tomato, for serving (optional)
- Sliced red onion, for serving (optional)
- Pickles, for serving (optional)
- Ketchup, for serving (optional)
In a small bowl, mix together curry powder, cayenne pepper, and 2 tablespoons salt until well combined; set spice mixture aside.
Preheat a grill: If using a charcoal grill, make a fire in your grill. When the charcoals are completely covered in gray ash, hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill grid; count how many seconds you can comfortably leave it there. When you can hold your hand above the grill for 1 to 2 seconds, you have high heat and are ready to grill. If you are using a gas grill, heat the grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed. Before beginning to cook, make sure the knobs are turned to high.
In a large bowl, using clean hands, mix together brisket and sirloin until well combined; season with salt and pepper. Divide meat equally into 6 balls, and flatten each into a patty about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of each patty with spice mixture, reserving any remaining spice mixture for another use.
Place burger on grill, directly over heat, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare; top burgers with bacon and cover with cheese during the last minute of cooking.
Meanwhile, place bacon on grill and cook until crisp, about 1 minute. Place burgers on the bottom half of each bun and top with 2 slices bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and ketchup as desired. Top with remaining bun halves and serve immediately. Serve pickles on the side.