Tofu Kebabs with Cilantro Sauce
Both wooden and metal skewers are great for kebabs. Wooden skewers need to be soaked in water for 30 minutes before use.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2009
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grates
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 scallions, white and green parts separated and cut into 1-inch lengths
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, weighted and cut into 12 pieces
- 2 summer squash, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
Heat grill to medium. In a food processor, combine cilantro, 1/4 cup oil, jalapeno, ginger, lime juice, and scallion greens. Blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Combine tofu, scallion whites, and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Thread tofu and scallion whites onto four skewers, then thread squash onto four skewers.
Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Grill squash kebabs, covered, until tender, 11 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill tofu kebabs until scallions are soft, 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally; brush with cup cilantro sauce and grill 30 seconds more. Serve kebabs with remaining cilantro sauce.