Scallop Seviche with Corn Chips
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 pound bay scallops, quartered lengthwise then halved crosswise (about 1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 blood orange
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted Corn Chips
In a medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, cilantro, jalapeno, and red onion. Add the scallops, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until scallops no longer look raw in center, 2 to 3 hours.
Peel the avocado, cut into chunks, and place in a medium bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice. Mash with a fork to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Just before serving, drain ceviche, discarding liquid. Place in a clean bowl. Hold blood orange over the ceviche. Cut between the membranes into sections, allowing juice to fall into bowl, reserving sections. Squeeze juice from membrane into bowl, then discard membrane. Cut the orange sections into 1/2-inch pieces, and add to scallop mixture. Stir to combine.
To serve, place about 1 teaspoon of avocado mixture onto each corn chip; top with a small spoonful of the ceviche. Serve immediately.