- 8 ounces pork breakfast sausage (if using links, remove casing), crumbled
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Small pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, turning occasionally and breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl. Reserve about 3 tablespoons pan drippings in skillet, and pour off remaining drippings. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk, stock, and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet constantly, and cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, and reserved sausage.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 2008