Under 30 Minutes
Toasted Orzo with Olives and Lemon
Toasting the orzo (rice-shaped pasta) in olive oil before cooking it in water gives it a nutty taste and a golden color.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (2 1/2 cups) orzo
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add orzo; cook, stirring, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 4 cups water and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover, and simmer until orzo is al dente and liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes (if orzo is cooked but liquid remains, cook uncovered to evaporate).
Remove from heat. Stir in olives, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and lemon juice.