Beans and Greens
Tired of your kids not eating greens? Try mixing escarole with tender cannellini beans for an enticing side dish. You can substitute kale for the escarole.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 head escarole, washed well and stems trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more. Add escarole, and stir slowly, allowing it to wilt slightly. Add chicken stock, thyme, and salt; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, and continue to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve warm, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.