Steamed Garden Beets
- Servings: 4
- 6 medium beets, (about 1 1/2 pounds), a combination of white, red, and candy cane
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Fresh basil leaves, torn, for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Fill a 14-inch skillet with 1 inch of water, and place over medium-high heat. Scrub and rinse beets. Cut off stems as close to the top of the beets as possible. Tear off leaves and discards stems. Lay beet leaves in three layers of a bamboo steamer, and set aside.
Use a mandoline to slice beets crosswise about 1/16 -- inch-thick. Lay beets in a single layer over beet greens, one color per steamer layer. Season with salt and pepper. Stack steamer layers, white beets on top to avoid discoloration, and cover. Set steamer over simmering water, and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Transfer beets and greens to a large bowl. Toss with butter and dill. Taste, and adjust for seasoning. Sprinkle with basil, and serve immediately.