Pickled Cucumber, Red Onion, and Radishes
This is a perfect topping for our Pulled Pork Sandwiches.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 8 radishes, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
Toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons salt in a large colander set over a bowl, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Rinse well, pat dry, and place vegetables in a clean glass jar or glass bowl. Bring remaining 2 tablespoons salt, the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, mustard and coriander seeds to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over vegetables, and let cool for 1 hour. Cover, and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 weeks.