Under 30 Minutes
Lemon Icebox Cookies
Tart icebox cookies make an easy and satisfying dessert or snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
In a food processor, pulse flour, confectioners' sugar, salt, and lemon zest until combined. Add butter and process until sandy. Add egg yolks and lemon juice; pulse until dough comes together. Divide dough in half and form each into a 1 1/2-inch-wide log. Wrap in plastic and freeze until firm, about 2 hours (or up to 1 month).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Spread granulated sugar on a piece of parchment; roll logs over sugar to coat. Slice logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange, 1 inch apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.