Pollo con Queso Tortas
Try this delicious torta, a Mexican sandwich on a crusty roll, for a zesty lunch or dinner.Also try: Beer Margaritas
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, halved horizontally
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 4 crusty white sandwich rolls, such as Kaiser rolls, split and top half hollowed out
- Carrot, Jicama, and Red Cabbage Slaw
- Mexican crema, for serving
- Plantain Chips, for serving
Roast peppers directly over a low gas flame or under the broiler, turning frequently with tongs, until blackened on all sides. Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let cool. Peel off charred skins; discard seeds and stems. Thinly slice crosswise and set aside.
Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Add sliced poblanos, onion, garlic, and cumin to skillet; season with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent. Top chicken with poblano mixture and sprinkle with cheeses. Place under broiler; broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
To assemble, place chicken on bottom halves of rolls; top with crema and slaw. Sandwich with top halves of rolls; serve.