- 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as marjoram, thyme, basil, mint, arugula, and Italian parsley
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 8 ounces green beans, tops and tails removed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Coarse salt
- 2 (1-inch) thick slices Italian peasant bread, torn into small pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a large pot, combine 1 cup of the herbs, zucchini, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, onion, pepper flakes, garlic, and 8 cups of cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Add bread, and cook, stirring, with a wooden spoon, until the bread has broken down and thickened the soup, about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup herbs; season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.