Broccoli with Garlic and Anchovies
Don't be put off by the number of anchovies in this recipe; they will soften and mellow during cooking, contributing wonderful flavor without being the least bit overpowering.
- Servings: 4
Source: Dinner at Home
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head broccoli (1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and cut lengthwise through stalk into long spears (4 to 6 inches long)
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium until hot but not smoking. Add broccoli (in a single layer, if possible), and cook, without turning, until bottom sides are nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add garlic and anchovies, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper; flip broccoli pieces. Cook, stirring, until garlic and anchovies are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the water, and continue cooking until broccoli is just tender (the stalk should provide little resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife), 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove from heat. Season with more pepper, and add vinegar to pan, stirring to coat broccoli. Serve hot.