Cardamom Pound Cake with Roasted Late-Summer Fruit
Not your everyday pound cake, this one includes semolina and almond flour for texture and cardamom for fragrance and spice.
For the Cakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
For the Roasted Fruit
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ï»¿ï»¿ï»¿2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 3 peaches, pitted and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 3 plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries (from 1 pint)
- 1 cup red currants on the vine
Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 325. Butter two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans. Dust with all-purpose flour, and tap out excess.Whisk together flours, salt, cardamom, and baking soda.
Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Raise speed to high, and beat until smooth and glossy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with yogurt. Divide batter between pans. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cakes to loosen, and turn out cakes onto rack. Turn right side up, and let cool completely. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.)
Roast the fruit: Raise oven temperature to 350. Combine granulated sugar and vanilla seeds. Add peaches, plums, and Grand Marnier, and toss. Arrange fruit (and vanilla pods, if desired) on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast, stirring halfway through, until fruit is juicy, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Thickly slice cake, top with roasted fruit and juices, blackberries, and currants.