Guacamoldy with Creature Chips
The chips can be made up to one day ahead. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Servings: 8
Source: Halloween 2004, Special Issue
- Plain or butter-flavored vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 24 assorted large flour tortillas, such as plain, whole wheat, and sun-dried tomato
- Coarse salt
- 3 pounds ripe Hass avocados, (about 7), pitted. peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (about 3 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Using a few Halloween inspired cookie cutters, cut shapes from tortillas. Arrange as many shapes as can fit in a single layer on oiled sheet. Coat tortillas with cooking spray, and season with salt. Bake until slightly darkened and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining tortilla shapes, using a clean, cooled baking sheet.
Put avocados, lime juice, 11/2 teaspoons salt and the pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro in a large bowl. Mash with a fork until chunky. Serve with chips.