Quick Turkey and Rice Soup
Barley or orzo can stand in for rice from one batch to the next.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise and rinsed well
- 3 ounces celery root, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium parsnip, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups Turkey Stock
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 cup cooked rice
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek, celery root, parsnip, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in turkey and rice, and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.