Bite into one of these extra-juicy burgers to reveal a delicious surprise: a gooey melted-cheese center.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2008
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 4 ounces cheddar, cut into 4 slabs
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, red onion, bread-and-butter pickles, and ketchup
Divide beef into 4 equal portions, and gently form each into a ball. Insert a piece of cheese in the center of each ball, and flatten into 1-inch-thick patties, pinching beef to enclose cheese. Transfer to a plate; with thumb, make a shallow indentation in center of patties, taking care not to expose cheese.
Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. Just before grilling, season patties with salt and pepper. Place on grill; cover, and cook to desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let burgers rest 3 to 4 minutes; serve on buns with desired toppings.