Under 30 Minutes
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Gorgonzola and Escarole
Gorgonzola stands up well to nutty whole-wheat pasta; its luscious texture flatters silky slices of sauteed escarole and onion.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium heads escarole (12 ounces each), ends trimmed, leaves cut crosswise into bite-size pieces, washed (but not dried)
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente; drain, and return to pot.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion starts to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add as much escarole to skillet as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, adding more escarole as room becomes available. Continue to cook until escarole is tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add remaining tablespoon butter and escarole mixture (with any pan juices) to pasta in pot; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola, and serve immediately.