Slivered Scream Beans
Slice these haricots verts to look scary and spiky, and serve them with our Cauldron Curry as part of a spellbinding Halloween feast. "Round about the cauldron go; on the green beans, ginger throw."
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2009
- 1 pound haricots verts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds (kalustyans.com)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Prepare an ice bath. Bring a 4-quart pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add haricots verts, and blanch until vibrant green, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, and transfer to ice bath. Let stand until cool. Drain in colander, and thinly slice haricots verts on the bias.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic, and cook until just golden, 1 minute. Add ginger and chile, and cook for 1 minute more. Add blanched haricots verts, and cook, tossing, until heated through. Season with salt. Add sesame seeds and lemon zest, and toss to combine.