Salli's Cranberry Tartlets
These tartlets aren't too sweet and are a nice treat for a holiday buffet.
- Yield: Makes 15
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999/2000
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, plus 5 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- Amber or crystal sugar, for sprinkling
Heat oven to 350 degrees.with a rack in center. Spread all the walnuts on a baking pan. Bake until fragrant, about 7 minutes. Transfer nuts to a bowl; set aside to cool.
Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees. Brush tartlet pans with melted butter. In a large bowl, whisk together the 12 tablespoons melted butter, sugar, eggs, almond extract, and flour. Batter will be thick. Stir in cranberries and 3/4 cup toasted nuts.
Fill each mold with 1/2 cup batter. Sprinkle each top with 1 teaspoon walnuts and amber sugar, if desired. Bake until golden and slightly crusty on top, 30 to 40 minutes. A cake tester inserted in the center should come out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool, remove tarts from pans. These are best served within a day.