Gratin of Yukon Gold Potatoes
Potatoes baked with cheese are so comforting on cold nights.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1994
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus 4 or 5 sprigs for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup low-salt chicken stock, homemade or canned
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round or oval baking dish.
Slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick and combine thoroughly in a mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of the Gruyere, the olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
Arrange potatoes in a neat overlapping pattern in the baking dish. Pour chicken stock over potatoes and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake until potatoes are tender and the cheese and potatoes are starting to brown, about 45 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs.