Spooky Spiced Shrimp
Tandoori masala is a spice mixture that includes coriander, cumin, ginger, fenugreek, and pepper. It's available at specialty-food shops and Indian markets.
- Yield: Makes 4 dozen
Source: Halloween 2004, October Holiday 2004
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons tandoori-masala seasoning
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
- 48 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
Whisk together all ingredients except shrimp and sesame seeds in a large nonreactive bowl. Add shrimp; stir to coat. Cover; refrigerate, and let marinate, tossing shrimp occasionally, 2 to 3 hours.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook shrimp in batches (do not crowd skillet), turning once, until pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Discard marinade. Sprinkle shrimp with sesame seeds.