Brown-Sugar-Spiced Red Cabbage
Red cabbage owes its sweet-tart taste to brown sugar and vinegar.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings or unsalted butter
- 1 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat drippings in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add vinegar, port, sugar, cinnamon, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.