Foster's Barbecue Sauce
This sauce also works well as a marinade for chicken, beef, or pork.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 cup prepared strong coffee
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup homemade Tomato Sauce, or canned
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, and coriander. Saute stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until fragrant and vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes more.
Add coffee, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, and cider. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture gently for 30 minutes to infuse flavors.
Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.