Quick Chicken Cacciatore
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds), skin on
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, juice from 1 can reserved
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
Season chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; dredge in flour. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken, skin side down; cook until dark-golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat.
Add onions, garlic, and rosemary; cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add wine, and simmer 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, reserved juice, stock, and 1 teaspoon salt. Return chicken to pot. Raise heat to medium high, and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; cover.
Raise heat to medium. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Serve sprinkled with more rosemary.