Turkey Sandwich With Herbed Farmer Cheese, Sprouts, and Tomato
A homemade cheese spread with fresh herbs turns a sandwich of roast turkey on whole wheat into something special.
- Yield: Makes 2
Photography: Elizabeth Watt
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- 1/3 cup farmer cheese
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices (1/2 inch thick) Whole-Grain Bread
- 1/2 cup sprouts, such as clover and garbanzo
- 5 ounces sliced roast turkey
- 1/2 medium tomato, thickly sliced
Stir cheese and yogurt in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and herbs. Season with salt and pepper; stir.
Spread one side of each bread slice with cheese spread, dividing evenly. Divide sprouts, turkey, and tomato among 2 slices. Season with pepper. Top with remaining slices. Cut in half; serve.