Watercress and Green Bean Salad
This bright green salad makes a perfect side for our Lamb Chops with Artichoke Hearts.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Lisa Hubbard
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2004
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Kirby cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems discarded
- 1/4 cup packed mint leaves (large leaves torn in half)
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; add salt. Blanch green beans until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to ice-water bath to stop the cooking. Drain, and set aside.
Whisk together shallot, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large serving bowl; season with pepper. Whisking constantly, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until emulsified.
Add cucumber and reserved green beans to bowl; toss to coat. Add watercress and mint; gently toss. Season with salt and pepper.