Tandoori-Style Chicken Burgers
This burger is made with all of the seasonings and spices used in tandoori cooking, so the flavors really ring true.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- 1 1/2 pounds (4 to 5) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into rough chunks
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (from a peeled 2-inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 1 cucumber (8 ounces), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- Cumin Yogurt Sauce
- Watermelon slices (optional)
Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, place chicken, scallions, ginger, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Set aside to marinate, at least 10 and up to 30 minutes.
Transfer chicken mixture to a food processor; pulse until roughly chopped, but not pasty, 10 to 12 times. Gently form mixture into sixteen 3/4-inch-thick patties (about 3 tablespoons each).
Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates. Season patties with salt and pepper; grill until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Halve pitas crosswise (toast on grill, if you like). Into each pocket, place 2 chicken patties, cucumber slices, and cilantro sprigs. Serve with Cumin Yogurt Sauce and, if desired, watermelon slices.