Note: These recipes have been adapted from "Nobu: The Cookbook" by Nobuyuki Matsuhisa. Copyright 2001 by Nobuyuki Matsuhisa. Reprinted by permission of Kodansha International and Kodansha America, Inc
- 1 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Place onion in a food processor, and finely chop. Transfer to a fine sieve and place over a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
In a small bowl, whisk to combine, drained onion, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sugar, salt, mustard, and pepper. When the salt has dissolved, whisk in the grapeseed and sesame oils. Store refrigerated, in an airtight container, for up to 2 days.