Serve these flavorful cookies with Supremed Citrus for a light dessert after a heavy meal.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coarse semolina flour
- 3 tablespoons almond flour (or finely ground almonds with skin)
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flours, anise, and salt in a medium bowl.
Put sugar and zest into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to medium. Mix in juice and egg. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined.
Working in batches, spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip (such as Wilton No. 1A). Pipe 3 1/2-inch-long lines onto parchment-lined baking sheets, making the ends slightly thicker than centers. Bake cookies until edges and bottoms are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to rack; let cool completely.