Chicken and Rice Soup with Lemon
This comforting soup is packed with protein and still clocks in at under 400 calories per serving.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January 2010
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 large chicken breast half)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Chopped fresh dill, for serving
In a medium saucepan, combine broth and chicken; bring broth to a gentle simmer over medium. Reduce heat slightly so liquid is moving but not simmering; cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and let rest until cool enough to handle. Shred into bite-size pieces.
Bring broth to a rapid simmer; add rice and cook just until tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Return chicken to pot. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy; whisk in lemon juice. Whisking constantly, slowly pour 1 cup hot broth into egg mixture. Immediately whisk egg mixture into pot. Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with pepper and dill.