Chicken and Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole cut-up chicken (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), skins removed, breasts halved crosswise (save wings for another use)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas, thawed
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, turning, until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in rice, tomatoes, peppers, and 1 1/4 cups water; nestle chicken pieces in rice mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until rice is tender, 55 to 60 minutes. If any liquid remains in skillet, remove lid and simmer until evaporated.
Sprinkle peas over contents of skillet; cover, and remove from heat. Set aside until peas are heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2005